Saturday, September 4, 2021

Aug 28 class

I did quite enjoy today's session and I think it's good for me to record the things that happen so I can remember them for subsequent teaching sessions. I will divide some of the things that stood out to me in parts. 

Emotions

Today I did an icebreaker exercise:

What was the highlight of your week or summer? Why? How has this experience or event shaped you as you enter a new season?

A lot of the students shared that they were nervous for going back to school and some of the activities that they did to regulate this emotion. For example, one student shared that she went on a walk to calm down. I was affirming her that there is a lot of strength in being able to acknowledge the emotions one is feeling and try and do things to address that emotion. Unfortunately, a feeling like being nervous is hard to completely dispel but it is still good to do things to try and mitigate the feeling or set one's mind at ease. I find that having questions like this generate a twofold purpose - they provide a connection to the lesson as well as open up a point of discussion to be able to understand the students better and discuss their fears/address some of their emotions. These questions also create a sense of community as you can have other students share and provide affirmation for each other. For example, I had each student share something that they do to de-stress. Some students shared going on a walk, watching a movie, journaling, physical activities, and doodling. 

In the end I shared with them the value of truly taking life one day at a time and just dealing with the task, or day that is in front of them. Before we all know it, time will pass and we will be back yet again to another summer break. I did not get to share with them, but I also wanted to impart the wisdom of enjoying everyday living. Each day is a day we can never get back, and it is significant to look for the joy in the day. This is certainly (I think) a discipline, a habit - but it is one that we can grow stronger in if we practice it daily. 

Padlet

https://padlet.com/ivkmutama87/gjg5r5a4vl6ffwjw

I also very much enjoyed the Padlet activity. I gave the students this question below: 

The various events and seasons in our lives are a large part of our identities and ultimately shape the person we are growing into and who we become. Think of a significant event or season of your life that you feel has shaped your identity and who you are. Provide 2-3 reasons how this season/event has contributed to your identity.

Students had to generate a thesis statement and post it on the padlet for everybody in the class to see. The beauty of this exercise is that the responses are anonymous. Students could then share which entries resonated with them. I also realized partway through the value too of having the students tease apart each other's entries and hold the writing against a criteria. I had given the students some criteria around writing a thesis statement and then asked a student whether the thesis that they selected to read met that criteria and how. The student had to specifically tease apart the writing and hold it against the criteria that they were given. 

Advice and Nurturing Student Writing 

I find that the little bits and pieces of advice and mentoring that I give throughout the class to be helpful. Haha - well I do not know if it is actually helpful to the students but I like to think that it is. Today I told students that their writing is not something to be seen as bad or good, but rather to be seen as something that they are growing in. Writing is always about growth, even if you are a very experienced writer. Life in general, is always about growth! I told them the importance of being kind towards themselves in the current stage and season that they are in - and being kind towards their own growth process. 


No comments:

Post a Comment